The basic rules of mold clean up

The basic rules of mold clean up

If your house is contaminated only in a mild way you can attend to the cleanup process without having to depend on professional services. However, if the spread is considerable you will have to look for expert advice in order to ensure proper and thorough remediation is carried out without and danger of a re-growth. Whether you are attempting a DIY job or getting professional help the ground rules for getting rid of mold remain the same.

1. Tackling the primary source of moisture that leads to a mold growth
2. Removing mold in a contained manner so that no mold spore will escape and settle in other parts of your house.
3. The person attending to the mold remediation should be properly protected from being exposed to fungus or toxins.
4. Attending to regular follow-up, inspections, and maintenance to ensure there are no returning fungi visitors in your home.

Is your mold problem big or small?

If the mold spreading through your house is just limited and if you can easily access the areas contaminated and if you are healthy and does not have any allergies you can handle the mold removal job yourself by utilizing the standard safety precautions. However, if the mold has broken into the HVAC system you should consider yourself in a complex situation which necessitates expert advice.

Handling mold removal jobs

For a smaller infested area such as 10 square feet or less the mold remediation is classified as being in the category of level I. The problems are most often contained to areas such as walls, ceilings or shower tiles. Always remember to address the ground rules in mold removal whether you are attempting a small or big job. The prime source of moisture has to be eliminated before you tap in to the existing mold if not there will always be recurrences.

Use proper protection gear such as gloves, disposable respirator and eye protection mask before you initiate the work. If there are any children, elders or people who are allergic or sensitive to pollen they should be kept away while the mold removal process is on. All the infected particles you remove should be sealed in a plastic garbage bag before you take them for disposal. When taking the disposable bag outside try to keep to a direct path as much as possible so that you don’t walk through clean areas in your house and accidentally expose them to airborne fungi. Don’t step over rugs and carpets where mold spores can easily cling on to them without you being aware. If you are working in the basement just come out of the bulkhead door without proceeding to other parts of the house. Once you have finished the mold removal you should clean the entire area in which you worked with a powerful fungicide that will dry off instantly. If you have used linens for the cleaning process wash them in hot water with a strong detergent or dispose of them along with the fungi scraps.

How do you know that the mold has been cleaned up?

You will know that you have done a successful job when there are no more musty lingering smells in the surrounding areas or when you have clearly fixed the problem that initially caused the water intrusion and when there are no visible signs of moisture trapped. Even if you do not detect any mold favorable signs in your home any more you should not stop the regular inspections. However, if you are not satisfied with your work and still detect signs that can lead to mold you need to consider the alternative of seeking a professional mold remediation service to address the problem.